Tuesday, February 08, 2005

The Wedding Dress

After a great reception and overnight stay with the indomitable Jim Scarfe at Lake Mc Quarie we drove down to Manly on the North side of Sydney. We stayed over at a guest house overlooking the beach. In the morning we were investigating the communal breakfast facilities and saw some yoghurt in the large fridge. Being unsure if this was for all guests to consume I went looking for advice from another resident. I approached a lady who was ironing a rather shapeless dress of a particularily unpleasant pink hue. She looked up as I approached and just as I was about to mention the yoghurt she let out a cry of "Oh No I've burnt a hole in it. It's my daughter's wedding dress. I think I'm going to cry. (Which she did). She's getting married at four o'clock" Her husband and another lady came over and I later heard him saying on the phone "it's irrepairable".

I opened and closed my mouth and backed away in stunned silence.


The German's have a word that has crossed into the English language: 'Schadenfreude'. It means laughing at other's misfortunes.The naughty poodles spent the rest of the morning bursting into fits of uncontrollable giggles. We wondered how the wedding went.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home